pedro FOR SENATE
This is the word that defines those who support me, those who uplift me, those who empower me, and those who surround me. It has been our Latinx community that has given me a home here on this campus. It has been our Latinx community that brought me to Cal for the first time and instilled in me the idea that we deserve to be here. It has been our community that has given me a space to learn, a space to challenge myself, and a space to grow.
Being a Latinx Endorsed candidate* is not something that I take lightly because I understand the responsibility that I have to stand up for our community. This endorsement means that I hold the duty of advocating for our community when the ASUC, the administration, and this campus fail to acknowledge our presence. This endorsement pushes me to continue my work because I know that my service and my advocacy are larger than I am.
Having the support of our community reaffirms me that I need to step up and fight for us when our narratives are not being discussed. I know that I alone do not represent the intersectional identities that lie within our vastly diverse community, and I know that my narrative is not representative of the greater Latinx community, whether that be those who self-identify, those who do not self-identify, or those who consider themselves allies to our community. This however informs my work and pushes me to create changes that are inclusive and welcoming to all.
My presence in Raíces as a volunteer and an intern*, my presence in the SLC as a writing tutor*, my presence in the Alumni Scholars Board as the Retention and Outreach Chair*, and my presence as a student on this campus have served as experiences pushing me to do MORE.
As a Latinx Endorsed* #Candidato, I will continue showing up for our community, I will continue being loud if the situation requires me to do so, and I will continue uplifting us because this university is not doing enough and we need to support one another on this journey.
I would like to thank everyone in the community who voted and I would like to extend my utmost gratitude to our community. I am humbled by your endorsement and I am ready to represent, uplift, and empower our community.
I am Pedro Adrian De Anda Plascencia, Your Latinx Endorsed ASUC Senate Candidate*.
*All titles for identification purposes only.
𝐌𝐨𝐛𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐳𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐇𝐒𝐈 𝐈𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐬
• Holding the chancellor accountable for her Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) initiatives.
• Ensuring that intersectional Latinx narratives are highlighted in these conversations.
• Engaging in dialogue about the impact that this initiative will have on other marginalized communities.
𝐎𝐫𝐠𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐳𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐄𝐝𝐮𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐮𝐦𝐬
• Hosting biweekly educational forums to bring awareness to the POC community.
• Forums will be centered around campus policies, national legislation, financial literacy, and Road to Resiliency (which is a program for students on academic probation)
• Hosting a fundraiser where we will see antojitos (Latinx snacks) and use this revenue to create a scholarship accessible to the Latinx community both at UC Berkeley and Berkeley community college
𝐑𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐱 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬
• Uplifting the work commenced by Rosa Lopez, my team member, to ensure that work can be continued for a first generation themed floor in the dorms
• Promoting and coordinating work with the Student Learning Center (SLC) and the Educational Opportunities Program (EOP) to promote academic success
• Creating video tutorials, pertaining to academic subjects like math courses in English and Spanish, and with subtitles, in order to make assistance more accessible.
𝐄𝐦𝐩𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐱 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬
• Helping prepare our Latinx students for their exit from UC Berkeley and into graduate school or the workforce
• Hosting panels with Latinx alumni from different backgrounds (transfer students, first year students, re-entry students) and from different professions to increase awareness of what lies beyond the Berkeley bubble
• Bringing in consultants from prep courses to go over their experiences MCAT, LSAT, and GRE
✿ ✿ ✿